One thing that always amazes me is the form of our faces. There are billions of people around the world and when I look at them, I really get surprised by the fact that how Nature has managed to design each of them so differently, that too with so limited resources. I mean we all have two eyes, two ears, one nose and one mouth but look at us, we all are so different from each other.
I feel constraints are really helpful when it comes to creativity. We get more thoughtful and creative when we have restrictions. Constraints can be in different forms Time, Resources, Money, Space.
1. Take Twitter as an example. It restrict users to write upto 140 characters. I think it’s good as it helps people to be more focused and communicate their thoughts more effectively. It reminds me of the telegram where each word was paid and people used to deliver their message in just few words.
2. Do you remember Beyonce’s Single Ladies video. Beyoncé wanted a simple music video; it was filmed with minimal alternative camera shots and cuts, and no changes to hairstyles, costumes and sets. It was the cheapest and quickest of all her videos to produce and yet it became one of her best videos winning so many accolades.
3. One of the greatest examples of constraints in Ad world is Absolut Vodka. The way people have adapted their bottle as the identity and designed around it is really commendable. There are thousands of variations of a single bottle.
4. Jugaad (Vernacular design) is also one such example. It leads to creation of so many innovative projects with the use of limited available resources.
5. Recently, I saw Austin Kleon’s Newspaper blackout poems and I was so inspired from it. It provides an excellent example of working within constraints.
These examples help us in understanding the fact that sometimes constraints open new gates for creativity and hence, should not be considered as obstacles.
What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them.